Connect with us

Caribbean Buzz

“We Can’t let COVID19 Take Away Our Music.” Destra Speaks Up.

Published

on

Approx. 3 min read
Prev1 of 2

Unless there’s a miracle in the coming months, Trinidad and Tobago’s Carnival 2021 season will be non existent. This was the expression by the country’s Prime Minister, Dr. Keith Rowley, on Monday.

In response, many have praised the forward thinking approach of the country’s leader, while others have questioned the way forward for the fraternity of entertainers and other Carnival stakeholders whose professional lives have been halted since March. Ebuzztt.com spoke with female soca heavyweight, Destra Garcia on the topic. She said the matter at hand is one that has left many considering whether even releasing new music makes sense. “This whole thing has been an ordeal for all of us, as entertainers in general. Now, with the no carnival announcement, it throws a curve ball to the distributors of carnival on all counts, so the question now is, what do we do?” she said.

On Tuesday, announcers at one urban frequency in Trinidad and Tobago harshly criticised soca artistes who may have been contemplating whether new music should be released. Hans Devignes, an often outspoken personality said he felt this should not even be a thought since soca artistes should be releasing music year round. He argued that other artistes, attached to another popular genre of music in Trinidad and Tobago, dubbed TriniBad music, had been progressing well, even before their music made it onto the nation’s airwaves. DesVignes opined that todays entertainers must do what is necessary to capture digital markets, rather than questioning the feasibility of releasing music, outside of a particular season.

Prev1 of 2

Caribbean Buzz

Voice Breaks into Tears On Stage in NYC. “God Told Me to Go Fulfill My Purpose.”

Published

on

By

Approx. 3 min read

His journey can only be described in one word- predestined. The swift elevation from mere San Juan youth to internationally recognized Soca star is one that on Thursday night proved emotionally overwhelming for Trinidad and Tobago’s Aaron ‘Voice’ St. Louis. “I cried because I was overwhelmed. I cried because I couldn’t understand,” he wrote beneath a video posted to his social media platforms, highlighting the emotions felt and openly shown in New York on Thursday night.

Three time Soca Monarch champion, Voice.

Voice hit the United States by storm in August, having announced a full tour that included shows in Washington, Houston, Atlanta and Miami. The tour was named after his Instagram live nighttime feature, “Vibes with Voicey,” which brought fans from around the world into a close knit circle of friendships he’d built with fellow entertainment practitioners, Akeem 5.0, Major Penny, Salty, Travis World and DJ Elon. The feature would see thousands log in, sometimes into the wee hours of the morning, to vibes with Voicey and his friends! It was sheer authenticity and it proved genius! The concept would soon morph into a multi-state tour in the United States where, despite continued COVID19 vaccine hesitancy by many, even within the Caribbean community, Soca artistes had gotten the green light to entertain fans at events across the US. Caribbean fetes were happening everywhere and on August 8th, Voice waded into the pre-Miami carnival energy, delivering his first installment of the tour at Arts Park in Florida.

Over the next few weeks, leading up to the final installment on September 2nd in New York, Voice brought fellow Soca artistes, Bunji Garlin, Fay Ann Lyons, Alison Hinds, Problem Child, Lyrikal, Sekon Sta, Grenada’s Lil Natty and Thunda, Nailah Blackman, College Boi Jesse, Motto, and in New York, Kees and Nadia Batson among others, to deliver to fans of soca who simply lapped up every bit of the thrill they could, before Summer ends and the cold front returns.

Voice with Bunji Garlin

The young, triple Soca Monarch champion, thankful and dripping with gratitude not only to his parents but also to his dedicated team of friends and the entertainment professionals who supported him, ended the tour in tears on stage on Thursday night. “But then it hit me, God gives the hardest battles to His strongest soldiers. I’ve claimed success…I’ve claimed growth…and even when the journey was rough and I was at my lowest, God picked me up told me to go fulfill my purpose. He reminded me of the endless nights I worked for what I have now. He told me my time is now, and I listened,” the ‘Peace of Mind’ singer wrote. He said God had chosen him to deliver the music that would uplift the people, and as such, no one would deter him.

The singer went on to thank his parents, saying, “I owe everything to my mom and my dad. Not just my growth in my career but even my inner peace and happiness. I am who I am because of their intervention, guidance and love. God has truly blessed me with a support system like no other.”

Etcetera The Company Leaderboard Ad
Continue Reading

Caribbean Buzz

Gourmet Dining, Golf, Fetes and More! Mele is on! Soca Lovers Heading to Cancun.

Published

on

By

Approx. 2 min read
Prev1 of 2

The inaugural sail of Melé Cruise, a collaboration between Carnival Mas Band TRIBE and Soca King Machel Montano, has been postponed and in its place, Carnival lovers can now look forward to a getaway on land at the Moon Palace, Cancun. The new Melé venue is an all-inclusive resort in Mexico offering signature amenities, luxurious accommodations, 24-hour room service, gourmet dining, and top-shelf drinks among numerous other attractions. Melé’s vacation getaway takes place in 8 months – from April 28 to May 2nd, 2022.

According to Montano, though the cruise industry is taking the necessary steps to navigate a way forward for the future, cruising “will be ready for all the melé we intend to cause on the high seas at a later time”. So after months of consideration, the Melé team made the decision to move “from ship to shore,” with Moon Palace Resort, Cancun, as their home for 5 days and 4 nights. 

Loyal Cruisers who signed up for Melé Cruise, Carnival at Sea, will be given the opportunity to sign up for Melé Destinations first, beginning Friday August 27th. After that, once spots remain, the public will be invited to reserve their stay from September 15th. The vacation getaway features fetes, day and night, unlimited premium drinks from multiple bars stocked with top-shelf spirits, meals at 16 top-tier restaurants offering the finest international cuisine, luxurious rooms, pristine beaches and live performances, daily. Patrons can even enjoy a round of golf in between their feting, or perhaps a massage at a world-class spa. 


In a video announcing the move from sea to land, Montano made it clear that “fun will never take precedence over safety” and Melé Destinations is the team’s way of keeping its promise to Cruisers and and anyone in need of a holiday something to look forward to in 2022; the “getaway we all deserve”. 

Prev1 of 2

Etcetera The Company Leaderboard Ad
Continue Reading

The Caribbean Buzz Podcast

Trending

error: This content is protected. if you wish to use this content in anyway please contact us!!