Mark Myrie, the phenomenal reggae artiste, best known world over as Buju Banton, will walk away from a US penitentiary a free man in 39 days. The countdown to his release has certainly begun with fans and friends, event promoters and fellow artistes all excitedly preparing for the “Hills and Valleys” singer’s return to the Caribbean and eventually, to the entertainment spotlight.
Buju Banton is set for release on December 8th, 2018.
Buju has been incarcerated for almost 9 years. His last performance in Trinidad and Tobago was in 2009, the very same year he was detained by US authorities. His journey has certainly been an incredible one, with fans across the world constantly calling for his freedom, insisting that the man who had given them so many inspirational songs of hope and goodness, had been entrapped. Despite it all, Myrie has remained strong, positive in the face of adversity, and undoubtedly focused on his return to his family and loved ones.
Event organizer of the “I Am Legend” concert event set to take place in April 2019, in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad, Glenroy Watson, in a chat with EBUZZTT recently, made it abundantly clear that at this time, he is focused primarily on Buju’s release. “Nothing else matters at this point. Personally, this has been a long journey for me and for those who truly call Mark their friend and family,” he said, highlighting that the artiste’s overall wellbeing and mental strength is of utmost importance to him.
Watson, following the arrest and incarceration of Buju, had made it abundantly clear that there would be no ‘I Am Legend’ concert without Buju. For years, he patiently waited, visiting the artist while behind bars and standing firm with his family. Now, merely a month away from Buju’s release, Watson is excited and happy for the imminent return of the reggae hitmaker he calls his brother.
The Buju Banton brand remains a solid one around the world. Many anticipate his return to the stage, however Watson says he is patient. “We have to give him time. This is no ordinary situation. While we have secured an April 2019 date for our show in Trinidad, we are mindful of the artiste’s need to heal, spend time at home with his loved ones and reignite that fire that made him the great artiste that he surely is.”
Details of Buju Banton’s concert appearance in Trinidad and Tobago will soon be made available online at www.iamlegendconcert.com. For now, with the countdown to his release the focus, the website offers a ticking clock, recording just that.
It’s a brand new concept being brought to life, in Point Fortin, however its impact, according to organizers, is already proving immense. The annual Point Fortin Borough celebrations, culminates this weekend and on Sunday, an event with a bigger purpose at heart, is anticipated to draw a massive crowd to fete, for the greater good.
Naya George
Naya George and Anson George spoke exclusively with Ebuzztt.com ahead of the all inclusive experience. They’re excited to see their vision come to life. Anson, a well known name on the carnival and entertainment circuit, is known for his strong involvement in the BeachHouse Carnival brand. “It’s going to be on par with BeachHouse,” he assured, asserting ‘Flowers’ as the new ‘must attend’ fete in Borough Day festivities. “There are other events happening on Sunday in Point Fortin but there’s no other event of this caliber, happening,” said Anson, explaining that a few tickets are still available for those who still want to get in.
For Naya, the effort is less about business, and more about purpose. “We are partying with a purpose. We want to let people know that this isn’t just about feting. This is the only party that’s happening in Point Fortin that’s giving back to Point Fortin,” he explained, adding that proceeds will go toward investment in the young people. “The first set of projects will be at the Point Fortin West Secondary School where the event is being held. We are going to revitalize the sports programme, playing field restoration, sporting equipment and that kind of stuff, to ensure the youths have a place to find themselves in the area of sports. Flowers is the premiere fund raiser to do these things,” said George.
Set to welcome fete lovers from 5pm on Sunday at the Point Fortin West Secondary School, Flowers will feature a cast of talented artistes, inclusive of Nadia Batson and Lyrikal. “We want to raise fund in style and with high quality at heart, hence the reason the event’s caliber is high. This is going to be a first for Point Fortin,” said Naya George.
Anson George
The Point Fortin Borough experience is widely attended, with a series of cultural events leading up to the weekend of excitement that is anticipated by locals and visitors alike, each year. “Flowers has set the tone for the Borough Day evolution I think,” said Naya George. “Fusion came to an end last night,” noted Anson. He said the cultural extravaganza, which was similar to Carnival’s Flava Village, was a huge success and noted the wide variety of cultural traditions, shared between April 25th and April 30th. “If people can jump on a plane to experience Grenada carnival, we are certain they can come from West and North Trinidad to enjoy the Point Fortin Borough activities,” said Anson, making it clear that ahead of the upcoming weekend, hotel and guest house occupancy is already high.
“Borough is like a second carnival,” said Anson. He said there are fetes happening throughout the day on Friday. “When you come, you get a taste of everything you get in carnival. You get the fetes, the all inclusive, the jouvert, the street food, the culture,” he highlighted, and this year, for the very first time, fans of culture, creativity and altruism, will fete with purpose at Flowers – a distinct, top tier, premium all inclusive experience in the heart of the borough.
Tickets for the event are available online at Stacy’s House Of Hair – Point Fortin, Atherley’s By The Park – San Fernando, Terminal 4 – Long Circular Mall and online at theticketgeneral.com.
A Caribbean tour that started in Trinidad on Saturday and has continued in Grenada, this afternoon, has intrigued GenZ and GenAlphan fans across the Caribbean and internationally, all thanks to digital influencer, IShowSpeed, whose real name is Darren Jason Watkins Jr.
The 21-year-old Cincinnati, Ohio native who has racked up over 53 million YouTube subscribers touched down in Trinidad on Saturday, much to the excitement of local gaming and streaming fanatics, many of whom are teens and pre-teens.
Accompanied by several Trinidad and Tobago influencers and chaperoned by Machel Montano’s manager, Che Kothari, the vibrant young streamer was shown various parts of Port- of- Spain, Trinidad, and introduced to aspects of the culture often experienced by visitors to T&T, particularly at Carnival time.
From Saheena, to Roti, Bake and Shark and Doubles, IShowSpeed tried several Trinbagonian dishes and even some of the snacks manufactured locally. He was exposed to Carnival culture and traditional carnival characters and further to that, Trinidad and Tobago artistes like Lady Lava, Nessa Preppy and Jimmy October shared in the thrill of his visit. Many young, eager Trinbaonians, inclusive of parents who are familiar with the young influencer, engaged happily with Watkins Jr. throughout Saturday’s trip, all as he streamed the fun, live. Running through the streets as he moved through places like Tragarete Road and Charlotte Street in downtown Port-of-Spain, he was visibly excited to experience the country known especially for the Greatest Caribbean Carnival, the world over.
The trip, though quick, was streamed to some 7 millions online viewers and while some found it difficult to relate to the new wave of digital marketing and influencer branding potential for the small, twin island, others have since been marveling at the fact that this 21-year-old has managed to gift Trinidad and Tobago more publicity in mere hours, than that which Caribbean celebrities have been able to attain, over years in cultural ambassadorship.
Now, he turns his energy to Grenada. He was welcomed to the island by Grenadian cultural ambassador, Mr. Killa on Sunday, and Grenada’s signature Jab is expected to be on full display as the opportunity to reach millions around the world, now presents itself. The tour will continue to other Caribbean tourist destinations, inclusive of Antigua and Barbuda, St. Lucia, Bahamas, St Vincent and the Grenadines, St. Kitts and Nevis, Sint Maarten, Dominica, The Dominican Republic and Jamaica.
error: This content is protected. if you wish to use this content in anyway please contact us.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.