Connect with us

Ebuzz News

Outrage. Disgust. Trinidad Artiste Calls Out Peers in the Industry in Heated Series of Online Posts.

Published

on

Prev1 of 3

“Entertainers”don’t be afraid to speak out on the real issues facing our country. It wouldn’t harm your fan base or the fame or the money. Because it affecting yuh fans too.” – M1

M1 has been speaking out on various social issues in Trinidad and Tobago.

He’s always saying it as he sees it, even when the possibility of victimization is apparent. The artiste most still refer to as Menace but who changed his sobriquet to M1 a few years ago, is calling on his cohorts in entertainment to speak out on social issues. A UK travel advisory lists Trinidad and Tobago as a place where there are high levels of violent crime and a place where terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks. Menace, has, in the past few weeks, been expressing his views publicly via social media, almost daily, hoping for some attention on the matters, and redress.

The United Nations yesterday questioned Trinidad and Tobago’s government on its stance on the issue of assisting Venezuelan refugees – this after some 80 or so Venezuelans were sent back to their country by T&T’s immigration. Prior to that, M1 had questioned the issue of illegal immigrants in the country, saying that some of those arriving in Trinidad and Tobago were up to no good and making it clear that the twin island Republic could do without any additional problems.

Now, with much said over the past two months, the Sangre Grande native who released a new single called, ‘Mama’ on the Golden Riddim last month, is calling on his peers in the industry to use their celebrity for the greater good of society.

KEEP READING FOR SOME OF M1’s SOCIAL OUTBURSTS 

Prev1 of 3

Caribbean Buzz

Buju Cleared for T&T Entry. Private Jet Arrives on Friday. Watson Speaks Out.

Published

on

Trinidad and Tobago is bursting at the seams with excitement as the I Am Legend Festival headlined by Buju Banton, is just days away. An official advisory from the Ministry of National Security today highlighted that Buju, along with Luciano and Wayne Wonder had all been cleared for entry into Trinidad and Tobago by the Chief Immigration Officer.

Buju Banton is free to enter Trinidad and Tobago on Friday.

There was some concern last week after an announcement was made by the Minister of National Security, Stuart Young, indicating that he had not seen documents related to any request for Buju to be allowed entry into Trinidad and Tobago. It was subsequently reported that High Frequency Entertainment- the promotional outfit that will host Buju and his friends at the I Am Legend Festival on Sunday, had in fact submitted documents to the Ministry of National Security since November 2018. They re-submitted the request and received notice of authorization on Wednesday.

Ebuzztt.com understands that Buju will arrive in T&T via private jet on Friday. The artiste’s last visit to Trinidad was in 2009 when he performed at that year’s I Am Legend concert at the very same venue, the concert capital- Queen’s Park Savannah. “There is something mystical and magical about this occasion. It’s been exactly 10 years since Buju last performed here. He’s received so much support from the people of Trinidad and Tobago over the years and there is no doubt that he is grateful for all the love that’s been shown, over the years,” said High Frequency Entertainment CEO, Glenroy Watson.

Buju Banton was last experienced in concert, in Trinidad, in 2009.

The stage is set for what Watson assures, will be a memorable show of love and unity at the Savannah on Easter Sunday. Tourist arrivals to T&T, according to Watson, has soared in the past few days and is expected to increase further, in the next day or two. “There’s no doubt in our minds that this festival is an attraction to Trinidad at this time. It’s an economic booster and I’m happy to deliver this to my country,” he said. He however expressed disappointment in the corporate sector, explaining that most of his expenses have been satisfied out of pocket. “It’s not an easy road as Buju said, but with God at the helm, I’m guaranteeing everyone that this festival will continue annually- corporate sponsorship or not,” said Watson, highlighting that despite all that this event has done and will do, to boost local employment for the period, increase tourist arrivals, earn foreign exchange for the country and so much else, he has received no major sponsorship or government support for the benefits T&T will essentially reap.

Koffee makes her T&T debut on Sunday at the Queen’s Park Savannah for the I Am Legend Festival. The youths are anxious to catch her live.

The I Am Legend Festival is the biggest event of its kind to hit T&T, in recent years. Buju Banton’s name wields tremendous weight in these parts with even youths below 18 years of age, eager to experience the reggae hit maker, live. Banton, best known to many as simply, Gargamel, will be joined on stage by young star on the rise, Koffee, veteran reggae stalwart, Luciano, melody maker, Wayne Wonder and of course, Singing Melody, Tony Curtis and LUST.

Continue Reading

Ebuzz News

Dancehall Heavyweight, Popcaan Speaks Out. Challenges Cohorts to Make More International Music.

Published

on

The international music industry is, for most Caribbean artistes, the pinnacle of it all. They yearn for Grammy Award status and the international recognition that comes with it, however only few have attained such glory. Buju Banton, Beenie Man and Shaggy are among the Caribbean’s fruit who’ve achieved worldwide recognition for their contributions in music, however, for countless others, the dream is firmly implanted.

On Wednesday, Jamaican dancehall superstar, Popcaan started the conversation on how this dream could possibly be attained by more young, dancehall and reggae artistes. He had performed with Drake at London’s O2 Arena and basked in the thrill felt as over 20,000 foreigners moved to his music. “I see our music going so far in my vision and I’m honestly going to make that vision a reality with the few artistes that are actually trying to fight for our music the right way and working towards making more international music,” he said in a social media post after the performance.

The ‘Party Shot’ singer whose real name is Andrae Hugh Sutherland, said, “we have so much talented artistes on our island but our problem is sometimes we have more ego than hits and it will never work.” He lamented that as much as ‘gun tunes’ are a part of the dancehall culture, such lyrics could never really make it to the Billboard charts. 

Popcaan further encouraged all young, new artistes to stand firm on the journey admitting that it isn’t easy. As he ended his caption, he said, “and to the crab inna barrel artist, radio ppl and selectors, get out that fu*king barrel like a bullet… god bless my island and my industry.” 

The 30 year old who hails from St. Thomas, joined incarcerated dancehall star, Vybz Kartel’s Gaza Empire In 2008. Since that time he has amassed a strong following and performed around the world, even collaborating with Rap and Hip Hop superstar, Drake on a single called “My Chargie” in 2017. His Instagram following to date, stands at 1.4 million.

PAID ADVERTISING

Continue Reading

Trending