Connect with us

Ebuzz News

Chutney Soca Monarch May be Back On. We’ll Know Today!

Published

on

The International Chutney Soca Monarch competition will know its fate today. Yesterday, it was announced that the show would be cancelled because of decreased financial sponsorship from government and other private entities.

George Singh says he’s heard government officials say the competition adds no real value to carnival.

Late last evening however, an announcement by Trinidad and Tobago’s Finance Minister revealed that an error was made in calculating figures, one third of which should have been given to the SouthEx Promotions entity for the show’s hosting. The initial amount offered was $300,000 and last evening, a $1 million dollar subvention had been estimated and put out into the public domain. Event promoter, George Singh told the media last evening that he would review the figures to see if the show could go on, with the amount offered, and an announcement would be made today.

The Chutney Soca Monarch competition has been in existence since 1996. Singh, speaking during a media conference yesterday said he had been told by various government officials that the competition offers no tremendous value to the Carnival.

According to a report in the Trinidad Guardian newspaper, the government had been mistakenly and incorrectly informed that SouthEx had received $500,000 in funding from the NLCB last year and as such, due to government’s financial constraints, the figure would be decreased to $300,000. Finance Minister, Colm Imbert subsequently explained:

“We have since discovered that in fact, last year, the Chutney Soca Monarch competition was given $1.5 million by NLCB.”

 

 

Ebuzz News

The Bassman – The Mighty Shadow Passes On.

Published

on

Another legend has left the earth. The Mighty Shadow, one of Trinidad and Tobago’s most unique calypsonians passed away at hospital this morning. He was 77 years old.

Word of his death has since spread like wildfire on social media as many send their condolences to family, friends and members of the cultural fraternity in Trinidad and Tobago.

Shadow was well admired for his unique style of vocal and stage execution. Always donning black, the veteran artist would wow crowds with simple theatrics and a bounce that many will forever know as “The Shadow”.

A former Road March King of Trinidad and Tobago, Winston Bailey contributed many carnival anthems during his career. In 1974 he had stolen the Road March race with a song called “Bassman” and in 2001 he did it again with “Stranger”. But beyond that, Shadow’s delivery of songs like “Poverty is Hell” spoke to the psyche of the nation’s people. EBUZZTT has learnt that the calypsonian was due to receive an honorary doctorate from the University of the West Indies this week. He is said to have died this morning at the Mt. Hope Hospital after suffering a stroke on Saturday.

 

 

Continue Reading

Ebuzz News

Machel Montano Emerges to Find T&T Drenched Following Weekend Floods.

Published

on

Flood waters have devastated many across East and Central, Trinidad. Photo Credit: Rishi Ragoonath. 

One of Trinidad and Tobago’s most idolized soca artistes had been off radar for the past four days. Machel Montano has since re-emerged, having switched on his mobile phone and reconnected with the world. He says he had been on a four day retreat and had no access to his phone or any outside media. What he found upon reconnecting with social media was that his homeland of Trinidad and Tobago had suffered massive flooding and devastation.

Like many other entertainers, the Road March title holder immediately extended a message of hope to those who’ve been affected.

“This morning I was overwhelmed by the amount of messages of concern, prayer and well wishing. I was saddened to learn of the devastating floods that hit home in Trinidad and Tobago and my heart goes out to all those who are affected.”

The Siparia native who now resides in Los Angeles, explained that Trinidad and Tobago is a nation of great resilience and further saluted those who’ve helped during and in the aftermath of of the flooding. “Thank you for all the prayers and to all those who will continue to support the relief efforts,” he said on Instagram.

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending