International media has reported that a ninth person has died following last Friday’s tragic stampede at rapper, Travis Scott’s ‘Astroworld’ music festival in Houston, Texas. The ninth victim is a 22-year-old college student. The youngest to have succumbed to injuries so far is 14. A nine year old boy who was also seriously injured, is currently in a medically induced coma at hospital. Eighty civil lawsuits had been filed, up to Thursday, in connection with the incident. The attorney representing the entertainer, on Friday said, “There obviously was a systematic breakdown that we really need to get to the bottom of before we start pointing fingers at anyone.”
Jules Sobion at one of his major events.
Caribbean event promotional outfit, Caesars Army is just one of many global promotional teams that often facilitate mass gatherings for the entertainment of all, and while its founder, Jules Sobian admits that none of his events exceed 10,000 patrons, he believes there are serious lessons to be learnt from this tragedy.
“This seemed like a predictable but preventable tragedy,” said Sobion, in an exclusive chat with EBUZZTT on Thursday. He lamented the devastation, but said Travis Scott has a history of inciting crowds during his performances. “That in itself seems like a red flag for me, as I would not prescribe to anybody who is of total focus or attention, inciting my crowd in dangerous activities. It will only auger badly or negatively on the event organiser itself,” he explained. “I would remember when ‘Pick up Something,’ (Grenada’s Mr. Killa)was a big song. There were certain responsible event production managers that would ensure that if any song would incite rowdiness, or cause mayhem, the song would not be played, because we are responsible for the safety and security of the event,” he said. Beyond that however, Sobion pinpointed communication among key security and safety personnel as a major area of importance in hosting any event. “It’s the collaboration and cohesion of medical, fire, police, health and safety requirements; Based on this mass casualty event, it seemed that for a 50,000 crowd, they were not able to manage the complexities of such a crowd. In essence it seemed like from before, during and after the show, there were a number of failures.”
Sobion’s team produces events like A.M Bush, IN.De.Paint.Dance, Mai Tai, Bacchanal Blocko and Bacchanal Road to name a few. He believes that protocols established with communication at the centre of it all, could essentially safeguard all involved.“From a Trinidad and Tobago context and an event promoter’s context globally, it’s a matter of the cohesion and the buy- in, and the support from a cohesive team. It also comes down to communication among the personnel who are part and parcel of the event. There must be a hub- an area of communication where all officials will be in one station, or one workplace, to receive dilemmas in one hub. I don’t think Astroworld had that,” he noted.
Jules said while in the Caribbean, most events are usually on a much smaller scale, events of the Astroworld magnitude, require a high level of production. “I know for a fact that we, as simple Caribbean people – we tend to do the right thing. Police and Fire officials play an intrinsic role in the safety of any event and that is the main thing. Communication among all involved- a cohesive collaboration of entities, is responsible for a safe event production, and that just seemed like it was not the case last weekend,” he said.
Apart from the establishment of the communications hub, which Sobion said he certainly established for Bacchanal Road, he said it is imperative that the units attached to these crucial entities, are put into place in the most strategic way. “The communications hub is necessary but you also have to strategically put in place the units of these entities, within the event so that they can actually execute in the scenario of incidents to make sure that it’s dealt with immediately,” he highlighted, adding, “Communications coming centrally is important and having all persons on alert where you can actually communicate with the entities within the event and know how to deal with the incidents – whether to have the show stopped etcetera- that’s key.” Sobion said agents under the purview of the critical safety departments are tasked with communicating any emergencies immediately so that incidents do not carry on and end up causing mass casualties.
Last Friday in Houston, concert goers said the crowd surge that essentially led to nine deaths, began when Travis Scott took the stage. According to President of the Houston Firefighters Association, Patrick Lancton, Firefighters who were stationed outside the venue were not in radio communication with the emergency medical providers hired by the concert organisers as the situation unfolded.
The sweetest berry, Anika Berry reached a major milestone in her career with the successful staging of SO SWEET:The Concert, last weekend, in Brooklyn, New York. It was the entertainer’s first self-produced headline concert in the US.
Artistes backed by a live band, the event brought together generations of Caribbean music and featured performances and appearances by GBM Nutron, Lyrikal, the legendary Tigress, Denise ‘Saucy Wow’ Belfon, Imani Ray, and many others, creating a night that celebrated not only Berry’s journey, but the music and artistes who helped shape the culture she so proudly represents.
Anika Berry’s event was years in the making. Her journey in the Soca space has been built one performance at a time – the young artiste developing her sound, building her audience, releasing music, traveling to perform, and continuing to push forward in an industry where longevity must be earned. Over the years, she has grown from an emerging voice in Soca, into an international performer, while remaining committed to creating opportunities and moments that honor the culture. For that reason, the Brooklyn concert was especially significant.
Stepping into the role of headliner and producer, Anika brought her own vision to life with a full live band, guest artistes, production, and marketing dedicatedly to an audience that answered the call and came together to support the next chapter of her career.
Denise Belfon was one of the featured artistes at So Sweet.
One of the most meaningful moments of the evening came when Berry shared the stage with two women whose contributions helped pave the way for generations of female Soca artistes- that moment was standing on stage with both Tigress and Denise Belfon. “The appearance by Tigress became an emotional connection between Soca’s past and present,” said the artiste. “Hearing and reliving “Wo Donkey”, the unforgettable United Sisters classic, on a Brooklyn stage was more than a nostalgic moment,” she added. It was an opportunity to give flowers to a generation of women who helped establish a space for female voices in Calypso and Soca, long before many of today’s artistes entered the industry.
For Berry, being on stage beside Tigress was a full circle experience. The music of the United Sisters – Tigress, Singing Sandra, Lady B and Marvellous Marva, represented strength, personality and fearless female expression. Their impact continues to live through the women who came after them. The presence of Denise Belfon, another woman whose unmistakable style, stage presence and catalogue have influenced generations of Soca performers, made the tribute even more meaningful. Rather than simply celebrating her own milestone, Berry used her first headline concert to recognize the women who helped make moments like hers possible. The night also represented the range of Soca itself, the event connecting different generations, sounds and audiences under one roof while keeping the focus on live Caribbean music.
For Berry and her team, successfully producing a headline concert in Brooklyn represents more than another performance credit. It marks a transition from being an artiste, working for opportunities, to becoming an artiste capable of creating the opportunity, building the platform and bringing other artistes onto it.
SO SWEET was a celebration of progress, but it was equally a celebration of gratitude.
Another band launch is coming up in T&T. Blow Mano Blow Productions is preparing to introduce its latest presentation with a production that promises to be about much more than costumes and the traditional band launch.
The band will officially unveil its 2027 Carnival presentation, “To Birdie With Love,” on Sunday, August 30th, at the Queen’s Hall Garden Theatre in St. Ann’s. The event is carded to be a tribute to the music, legacy and cultural influence of the legendary Mighty Sparrow.
At the heart of the presentation are five sections inspired by some of Sparrow’s most enduring classics: “Jean and Dinah,” “Congo Man,” “Marajhin,” “Happy School Days” and “Margarita,” and according to the organizers, Blow Mano Blow will being it all to life in a distinguishable way.
Blow Mano Blow paid tribute to Calypso Rose in 2026.
Rather than treating the launch as simply a reveal of costumes and sections, the production is being billed as a theatrical Carnival experience, with each section brought to life through a combination of storytelling, drama, music and mas. The theatrical performances have been written and directed by acclaimed T&T playwright Penelope Spencer, adding a deliberate dramatic element to the presentation.
That approach speaks to what Blow Mano Blow brings to Carnival each year: an experience designed to extend beyond the road and the costume itself, placing culture, performance and storytelling at the centre of the mas experience. For Carnival lovers, “To Birdie With Love” represents an opportunity to encounter Sparrow’s music through a different lens. His iconic compositions become the foundation for five distinct sections, with the production using theatre and live performance to create a connection between the music and the mas.
The launch will also deliver the energy expected of a Carnival event, with performances from Brass 2 The World, Rave the Band, popular soca artistes and DJs from Sweet 100.1FM.
Guests will get their first look at the official Carnival 2027 costumes, while early registration for Carnival Monday will also be available. Door prizes, giveaways, food, drinks and the atmosphere of Carnival will round out the evening. For both experienced masqueraders and those preparing to play mas for the first time, the event offers an early introduction to what Blow Mano Blow has planned for Carnival Monday, 2027. This year, Blow Mano Blow’s presentation will be more than acostume collection, but rather the showcasing of a complete Carnival experience.
With Sparrow’s music serving as its creative foundation, theatre providing the storytelling framework, live music supplying the energy and mas completing the visual experience, “To Birdie With Love” seeks to place Trinidad and Tobago’s cultural legacy firmly within the excitement of contemporary Carnival.
The launch takes place on August 30th, the day before T&T’s Independence, from 6:00 pm to midnight at the Queen’s Hall Garden Theatre, with admission priced at TT$200.
For Blow Mano Blow Productions, the message is clear: Carnival 2027 begins with a celebration of one of Trinidad and Tobago’s greatest cultural icons—and an invitation to experience mas in a way that brings music, theatre, culture and Carnival together on one stage.
One night. Five sections. Live music. Theatre. Soca. Mas. Culture.
error: This content is protected. if you wish to use this content in anyway please contact us.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.